The Ilocos Region lies on the northwestern coast of Luzon. It is bounded by Cagayan, Kalinga, Apayao, Abra, Mt. Province, Benguet and Nueva Vizcaya on the east; Nueva Ecija, Tarlac and Zambales on the south; and the China Sea on the northwest. Its tragic location has made it the gateway to East Asia.
Region 1 consists of four (4) provinces and eight (8) cities, namely: the province of Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union and Pangasinan; and the cities of Dagupan, San Carlos, Alaminos and Urdaneta in Pangasinan; Laoag in Ilocos Norte, Vigan and Candon in Ilocos Sur; San Fernando in La Union. Pangasinan which occupies about two-fifths (2/5) of the regions total land area is the largest province while La Union comparatively is the smallest with twelve percent (12%) in land area. The City of San Fernando is the center of the region.
The region is endowed with innumerable natural and man-made attractions. It is a place which magnificently blends the aura of the past and the ambiance of the present manifested by the abundance of century – old churches, museums and houses found particularly in Vigan and some parts of Ilocos Norte. Anyone can bask under the glory of the sun and also enjoy the long stretch of pristine beaches along its coastal areas and the Hundred Islands in the Lingayen Gulf. They are sure haven for tourist. And for those who may opt to bring home souvenir items as “pasalubong” they may choose from a wide variety of the region’s best known products such as hand-woven blankets, napkins, and placemats (abel lloco), burnay (jars), ceramics, “white gold” (garlic), lasuna (native onions), chichakorn (fried, crunchy corn kernel) boneless bagoong, woodcrafts, baskets and mats artistically made from indigenous materials. Among the noteworthy income-source potentials are tobacco, pottery, basi-making (native vinegar) and silk production.
This is Region 1, home of sturdy, hardworking, frugal, thrifty, freedom-loving, productive, versatile and committed people. Indeed, very distinctly Ilocano
STATEMENT OF VISION AND MISSION
It is the Vision of DepEd RO 1 :
- To continuously provide quality basic education curriculum to all citizens in order to fully develop their potentials, and reinforce their value system to help them become productive and self-reliant, globally competitive and responsive to the challenges of the technologically advancing society guided by the highest standards of integrity and culture of excellence.
Mission: DepEd RO1 commits excellence to:
Our Pupils and students
- We shall fully develop the potentials of all learners through the delivery of education of the best value and quality supported by the state-of-the-art technology.
Our School Management and Teachers
- We shall develop a pool of competent, highly respectable and empowered educational leaders and teachers committed to the pursuit of excellence in the development of the Filipino child and the enjoyment of quality life.
- We shall provide a supportive environment in every school that inspires teamwork , mutual trust and professionalism where excellence and loyalty are not only recognized but also gainfully rewarded.
Our Non-teaching Personnel
- We shall encourage our non-teaching personnel to deliver services effectively and efficiently guided by fundamental and imperishable values and principles of industry, innovation, teamwork and strong work ethics at the same time that we shall create opportunities for their personal and professional growth and advancement that will lead to an improved quality of life.
Our Community/Parents/NGOs and LGUs
- We shall establish and maintain alliance and goodwill with our partners in the attainment of quality education for all